Sunday, September 27, 2015

What to Tweet About During #LDSconf

Tweeting during general conference allows gospel messages to touch the lives of millions of people around the world. When people see the #ldsconf hashtag they want to know what it's about. So when you tweet, consider that someone might be experiencing the gospel for the first time. Be bold, but not overbearing. Here are some things I like seeing when I follow the #ldsconf stream.


Links to Watch Conference 
If we refer people to conference directly, then they can participate with us!

Testimony & Truth
I often testify that I know what the speaker is saying is true, or I share statements of truth that relate to the speaker's topic. Rather than tweet direct quotes from the speaker, I try to identify the principles they share and put them in my own words.

Insights & Commentary
Share personal experiences that you've had that demonstrate what is being taught. I find that putting my own two cents in tends to generate further conversation.
You've likely heard the line from the hymn "I'll say what you want me to say, dear Lord." If the Spirit directs you to do or say something, do or say it! I have had spiritual promptings to tweet certain things at certain times before. You can never go wrong if you're following the Spirit. Likewise if you feel constrained that you should not say something, heed those promptings. 

I typically try to avoid what I call the "Breaking News" approach. I'm not the one broadcasting conference, so why would I report how many temples are being built or who the new general authorities are. Rather than tweet announcements, I will tweet in response to those things.

When using the #ldsconf hashtag, I try to avoid tweeting about what I'm eating for breakfast, sarcastic comments or jokes that come to mind, or things that are not relevant to conference, like scores of the college football games. It isn't a bad thing to tweet about your interests. I do sometimes tweet non-conference things during conference, but when I do I don't use the hashtag.

Like when people in the conference center shouted "Opposed!" in April 2014, I thought that was annoying, so I tweeted this
Or between sessions I tweeted this

What is your strategy when tweeting conference? I'd love to hear from you; use the gift of thumbs and leave a comment!

Back to the guide!

No comments:

Post a Comment